Saturday 26 November 2011

Polar bears in Arviat

No pictures, again since my camera wasn't with me, but last night I saw 5 polar bears!  After I landed one of the guys here took me over to the dump where the bears have been "dining".  Massive things, all full grown, and we were probably less than 20 feet away.  They didn't seem to care we were there, infact probably appreciated us lighting up the garbage for them.  I guess they come through every year at this time up from Churchill, and hang around until the water freezes before going out to hunt seal all winter. 

Pretty uneventful otherwise here.  The winds are too high for the new dish to go up, and there is a storm rolling in that will prevent it tomorrow too.  As much as I love sitting in a hotel watching TV, I may just go back to Iqaluit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment