Friday 14 October 2011

Igloolik

I’m in Hall Beach now after spending 3 nights in Igloolik.  What an amazing trip it was, I really enjoyed it there.  The hotel was pretty standard but the staff was great, and everyone in town was friendly and great to talk with. 
On my second day there I was invited out for dinner by some teachers and just got to hang out and socialize all night.  I’ve been in Iqaluit for 3 months and have yet to be invited anywhere other than wing night at the legion, so it was nice to go out.  It’s just something you don’t get elsewhere. 
The town is just as isolated as anywhere else, but seemed to be doing well.  Tonight there was a concert in town with over 10 bands playing, one of which I heard plays Tragically Hip songs in Inuktitut.  God I wish I could have seen that!

But I have had to move on to the next stop before back to Iqaluit.  I had a later flight and was worried about missing dinner here so I got pizza to go from what was claimed as “the best pizza north of the Arctic Circle”.  Have to say, they are probably right.  Felt a little stupid with a pizza on my lap on the plane, but it was worth it.
Oh, I also brought back a few lbs of Beluga whale (Muktuk).  Had a piece before I left, and it’s actually pretty good.  More fish tasting than cow (which I thought due to the fact a whale is closer related to cows than fish).  Going to try making some Beluga sushi and maybe some whale soup.  

No pictures unfortunately, forgot the camera at home.  Would have had a cool shot of 3 walrus heads drying in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment