Tuesday 3 May 2016

Hike #11 - Bruce trail peninsula section 125.3-167.4

total hiked: 210
total time: 43:00



It looks like I skipped to the end, but I usually do this hike a couple of times a year anyway, and this weekend was a good time to do it. A little cold, but no bugs and not a lot of people make for a good time of year to visit the northern Bruce. I did this section backwards for a change, but its probably easier to do the other direction normally.

Starting with lunch in Tobermory, this side of the trail feels more official as the start of the Bruce trail. The visitor center is here and a big lookout tower beside it



It then follows some snowmobile trails south. Unfortunately there is a section that has recently be closed off, and you end up on highway 6 for about 4km. Its not a fun way to start a hike, and if you don't care about sticking to every km of the trail, you might as well skip this and start/end your hike at Little Cove.



The trail gets tough from here on. My pace was about half what I usually do, and its a constant up and over rocks and walls. There is rarely a flat wide trail and there are few spots to grab water from the bay.

You go through the top of Cypress park, and right through the famous Grotto and Indian cove. I didn't bother to stop as I was running out of daylight and frankly there are enough pictures of these places. They are great if you have never been, but otherwise they are a tourist trap. They have made the trails from the parking lot even easier so I find even more people are out at these spots now.

Another hour and the stairs to Storm Haven backcountry sites. There are about 8 platforms here that you can reserve, as well as a compost toilet. I was getting in just as the sun set, and enjoyed a perfect view for dinner.



I was spent. It was only 20km but with my pack and the terrain it felt more like 40. I was in bed shortly after to wake up with sunrise.



The hike from Storm to High dump is notoriously difficult as well. It took me nearly 4 hours to cover the 9km. The guide says its the hardest part of the Bruce trail and rightfully so, there are a lot of rock walls to get over and can be difficult when they are wet. The edges of the rocks get very smooth and 'greasy' from the hundreds of hikers using them so the trail is actually getting harder over time.

High dump down Crane lake is a nice break. Its another snowmobile trail, so its flat and wide, and it goes by quick. Then the road out of Crane lake is nearly a trail itself, its single lane track that floods in the spring (like now!). I ended my day here and happily took my pack and wet shoes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment