Tuesday 10 May 2016

Hike #13 - Bruce trail Toronto section 0-19.6

total hiked: 245.1
total time: 49:00


 A tough Friday that I barely finished before sunset. The bike back was as long as the hike was since the trail followed a straight line north, so I started off a little tired. The official start is under the 401 on Appleby, which is a dumb place to put it since there is no parking, and in this case was completely closed off and under construction anyway! So I started from the Hilton Falls parking lot, which is the same distance and an actual place to park.

Its definitely spring now, the Trilliums are out, the ground is green, and the trees are all starting to bud. Unfortunately the trees do not provide much shade yet, but its starting to feel like they are alive again.



The trail felt less used in some sections along here, its a pretty long and straight part with no options for loops so the only people that would use it probably are doing this. There was a big bridge across the quarry about halfway in though




The trail gets pretty deep in the woods after crossing highway 25, and its a lot of swampy areas. I had to detour in a few places and ended up on a side trail that didn't make sense on my map (likely because mine are a few years old). They tend to reroute trails to let an area regenerate and I think that's where I was. I found my way to a 'road' that ran through the woods. I say road, but you would have a hard time with anything but an ATV through it. But it was on my map and gave me some reference. I eventually found my way out and back on the trail through farmers fields




I ended the day and went back to get my bike before dark, quite tired. 20km hike with a 20km ride after work might be pushing it and I should save those for weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment