Saturday 27 August 2011

Arviat


I finally made it into Arviat.  Landing on a gravel runway is a different experience, feels like the plane is going to shake to pieces.

The town is just north of Chuchill Manitoba, on the coast of hudson bay.  Although almost as north as Iqaluit, there are seagulls instead of ravens, long grass and bushes, its warmer, and is very, very flat.

There are no paved roads here, and even more ATVs compared to cars.  The trunk we rented is ready for the landfill, my door handle is a shoe string.  There is talk about building a road from Churchill to Rankin Inlet going through Arviat, and I couldn't imagine what the impact would be on this place if that came through.


Anyway, hopefully get done what I need to do and I can head back to Iqaluit with another over night in Rankin next week.


Massive Airport


























Hanging in the school



























It was grad night at the school, probably the busiest a parking lot gets in this town.  You can see what I mean about quads...


No comments:

Post a Comment