Thursday 18 August 2011


It seems the news is nearly country wide, so you can imagine it's the “talk of the town” right now.   A 70 tonne bowhead whale was caught in Iqaluit this week, the first in over 100 years.  At first I didn't realize it was such a historic event, people kept saying “did you hear they caught a bowhead?”.  I was working in the NRI (Nunavut research institute) on Tuesday and the place was empty.   I asked where everyone was and front desk said “out on the bowhead hunt”.  I assumed it was just a normal occurrence.

So its a big week for Iqaluit. Bowhead hunting was banned for a long time due to low numbers, but just recently has been allowed (although still strictly controlled).  With 70 tonnes of whale meat in town, hopefully I can get my hands on some whale soup finally. 


No comments:

Post a Comment