Thursday 21 July 2011

what to eat

I was actually quite surprised by the quality of food here.  In grocery stores you can pretty well get anything you would get elsewhere, with maybe just less options and brands.  It really is about the same as you would expect in a normal store in a small city, just everything costs 3 times as much. 
Restaurants are pretty boring.  If you are looking for burger and fries, this is the place for it.  Granted, I haven’t been everywhere yet, but I was expecting a little more native food flair.  Maybe those places wouldn’t survive since most people here only want a burger and fries (especially my people!), but I want to try things I won’t get elsewhere.  Food is an important part of a culture and I wish I was experiencing more of it.
I have heard of a place in town that I can buy some things like Muktuk, Char, and Caribou meat, so I will have to track it down.

Last night was wing night though, and surprisingly inexpensive.  $5 beers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment