Saturday 9 April 2016

Hike #2 - Niagara section 22.9-34.6
total hiked: 34.6km
total time: 5:35


A shorter hike today as I had a smaller window on a Friday, but wanted to get done with St. Catherine's. From where I left off in Merrit park, it went down a very busy road for the next bit with overpasses and malls. I know Im only 5% done but this must be the worst section of the entire trail.

2km later its finally in the woods up the escarpment again. I managed to jog most of the day until it got muddy again, which it did. The trail passes through Brock University's campus and its pretty easy to get lost around here. Lots of trails and paths and a lot of the white blazes are fading pretty bad on a few spots. Basically if you don't see a blaze for 200m, you are probably going the wrong way.





After the university the trail loops around Lake Moodie. There is an easy 5km you could skip with a shortcut here, but I did the entire loop and glad I did as it was the only decent trail of the day.

 
Marshes outside Brock


The lake was pretty quiet as its on the edge of the city, and connects to the large Lake Gibson. The trail follows a raised gravel path around the west bank to the dam.

Brock's library tower on the other side

I finished the hike at the Morningstar Mill at Decew falls with a short bike ride back to the car along the city's crappy roads. Keeping the distance at 12km has me feeling much fresher the next day, but its a pain to drive all the way out there for a shorter coverage. On the plus side I am done with the area and the next and only real built up area should be Hamilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment