Monday 11 April 2016

Hike #3 - Niagara section 34.6-56.2
total hiked: 56.2
total time: 10:20


Sunday was cold. Actually a record cold for this date. There was also a lot of snow in the forecast so I was out at sunrise to stay ahead of it. I decided to just walk this section so I could dress warm, not having to worry about sweating from a run.

Starting from DeCew, the trail dips into Short Hills provincial park. Mostly flat with open meadows, I saw lots deer and even the odd person walking their dog. Or perhaps its the dog walking the person, since so far Ive only seen people with dogs on the trail.

The first of many falls was at Terrace creek, where you could climb down and under them easily if you wanted



You also pass Swayze falls on your way out of the park. There is then trail behind a bunch of farms with noisy turkeys, and eventually you are lead into Rockway park. Quiet here as usual, the park is smaller with a few loop trails. My map shows a 1/2km of road but I think its been updated as it was just a road crossing.

The bridge in Rockway

I had a little rest on the bridge and started to fall asleep listening to the water pass under me. I couldn't help but wonder what someone passing by would think as they would have to walk over me to get by. Needless to say I don't do well when I wake up this early and starbucks wasn't open.



The trail heads to Louth Park, and passes a gun range at some point. You can't miss it, there are about 90 signs telling you to stay on the trail. I wonder if there was an incident, as it was excessive. After Louth is a long and boring 2km of road on the way to Ball's Falls. I can't believe there wasn't a way around this, but I guess if you want to see more vineyards this is your chance...

Entering Ball's Falls park from glen road means walking up the river, which at this time of year was at full power. Reminded me of the rivers in the mountains.




After a lot of stairs, you are in the main park. The lower falls are the more impressive, at 2/3rd the height of Niagara. Spring is the time to see them, they are much bigger with the run off. A great finale to a long cold day of waterfalls.




A long hilly ride back to the car and I was spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment