Monday 25 April 2016

Hike #9 - Iroquoia section 15.6-51.6


total hiked: 151.9
total time: 29:20



This was a long day. With the reroutes it was 38km and 8 hours of hiking. This section was almost all Hamilton and Ancaster, finishing just near Dundas.

Starting around 8am was cold, but quiet enough until I got more into the city. The Bruce Trail map talks about how even though you are in the middle of the city you would hardly know it. I'm not quite sold, as even though you are on a trail or path, you are always in ear shot of the highways and the path is mostly asphalt, especially near downtown. Add to that all the garbage (granted it was trail clean up day) that a city trail gets, it is a big contrast from the isolated provincial parks.





The trail gets better as it heads towards the 403 and over Ancaster. A lot of people in this section as its a nice wide flat path, lots of kids and strollers out on a Sunday



Eventually it leads down to some of the falls in Ancaster. Tiffany falls is a side trail out of the way, but the main trail goes right past Sherman Falls under the old mill



It wasn't even that hot out, but after 30km I was definitely soaking my feet here for a few minutes.

After Ancaster it went through the main Dundas Valley Conservation area, which has a lot of large loops to get lost in. There is a recent reroute that adds another 2km through the park, but its easy walking.

I ended the day close to 6pm and 54000 steps later. I was glad I pushed a long day as I wanted to see what it was like. Granted I didn't have a lot of weight on my back and the trails were easy, but I would like to do some backpacking trips that require 20mile days. Shaving a day or two off of a week long trip can save a lot in the amount of food you have to carry, and time off work.

No comments:

Post a Comment